By: Beauty of Life for “First Look Fridays”
How did you first become interested in makeup, and what led you to become a makeup artist?
My interest in skin care and beauty led to my work as a makeup artist. I learned some of the basics of the trade at Elegance International Academy of Professional Make-Up in Los Angeles before working on a lot of music videos and independent films in the 1980s.
Have you worked with any makeup artists who inspired you? What did they teach you?
I was originally inspired by the iconic work of the great Way Bandy.
When I first started working on music videos, I was fortunate to observe the exquisite talent and artistry of makeup artist Francesca Tolot. Her work continues to inspire me. Another makeup artist whom I met early on — Mark Bussan — told me to always remember that there are two words that define what we do: Makeup and Artist. He told me to never forget the second part. That advice gave me the confidence to always trust my own instincts.
What are some of the moments that have stood out as highlights in your career?
In 1990 I began my career in television with the HBO comedy Dream On. Its creators, Marta Kauffman and David Crane, also created the TV show Friends. They invited me to work on the show and then Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox convinced me to stay. I worked as the Department Head of Makeup for Friends for seasons 2-10, until the series wrapped. That was definitely a highlight in my career.
Among others, I’ve been requested as personal makeup artist for Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Diane Keaton and Felicity Huffman for multiple films, red carpet events as well as publicity for television shows and movies.
To this day I love being a makeup artist and continue to find joy in revealing beauty through great skincare and beautiful makeup.
What are your top 5 beauty essentials?
1) Great, consistent skincare including facial products and treatments with Sonya Dakar Skin Clinic, Cle de Peau Eye Baume, and Dr. Hauschka Lip Care
2) Chanel and Dior powder eyeshadows, M.A.C Cream Liner in Black and Brown, Lancome Eye Pencils, Black Mascara
3) Make up For Ever primer, HD foundation and HD Microfinish Powder, Cle de Peau Concealer
4) La Prairie Cellular Radiance Cream Blush and Powder Blush
5) Sheer lip colors from Cle de Peau, Julie Hewett and Chanel
What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1) Start with clean, moisturized, sun protected skin.
3) Look in the mirror and enjoy!
Being a makeup artist must be fun — but what do you do in your spare time?
In my spare time I love being home with my partner, Pam, and our three dogs — Betty, Bella and Freida. We love going for long walks, eating delicious food and appreciating our good life.